Monday, December 5, 2011

The War on Christmas - Part I

It happens every year, the left (and a few loony fundies) go to war on Christmas, trying to turn it into something people doen't want.  Now, I'm not religious in any sense of the word, but I appreciate Christmas as a time to slow down, reflect on what I think is important, and share some time with family.  Gifts?  Well, Georgia and I hardly know what to buy each other any more. We can afford to buy what we want when we want it.  Our expectations are low and simple.  I couldn't possibly buy her clothes, and her taste in fishing tackle is abominable.  The kids need gifts, and that's a great excuse. But while I really don't care how others celebrate Christmas, or whether they celebrate it at all, I resent others telling me how I'm supposed to celebrate it.  And there always are some.  Today's offenders:

Reverend Jesse Jackson declares it ought to be a "poor person's holy day"
This (Christmas) is a holy day for the poor, not a holiday for the merchants. I once heard some people that I know say that when Christmas Eve is over, they have midnight services in the back of their shops. These were non-Christian people I was, they say we, say every December 24th around midnight we have, we close our shops and we’re not Christian but we start singing “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” We use Jesus to lure you into Santa Claus’s birthday party and unless you have the holiday spirit, which is his songs, his wine, and his stuff you’re not welcome at the party of the man whose party it is. This is, Christmas should be a poor people’s holy day.
 As Ace quips "Like Festivus, but with much more Marxism."

Also via Ace, the story of a silly academic who thinks the story of Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer is teaching kids un-PC behavior (well, I certainly hope so):
...author and special ed professor George Giuliani asserted that St. Nick's behavior in the classic stop motion cartoon, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" is tantamount to bullying, and sends a wrong message to children watching the family favorite. As such, he's written a new book, "No More Bullies at the North Pole," which re-tells the story of the triumphant reindeer.

"Santa has ten policies that are very unfair, and Mrs. Claus sets out to correct those policies, and what you just saw, where Rudolph is being treated very very badly, and that should never happen," Guiliani said.
Mockery is the only reasonable response.

No comments:

Post a Comment