Thursday, November 10, 2011

#Occupy DC Stinks

But when I read this story ("Man found dead in Occupy New Orleans encampment") about a man dead for two days being discovered in the Occupy zone, I wondered whether DC didn't have a similar problem. I'm not saying the encampment smelled of death, exactly, but it really did smell bad.

My husband would be the first to tell you that my nose should be examined by science for its ability to detect hints of vanilla a mile away, so perhaps I'm overly sensitive.

But both my companion and I were somewhat overcome by the stench. Hints of urine, to be sure, but there was something else that was just not quite right. This strikes me as a huge marketing problem. Convincing people to camp out is one thing, convincing people to camp out in a smelly enclave? Much more difficult.
But let's be fair,  some places in Washington D.C. smelled pretty pretty bad before Occupy DC.  I remember one mud hole behind the Paradise at Parkside Apartments that nearly gagged me, and the marshes behind the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens were no walk in the park either...

No comments:

Post a Comment