Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Take on Penn State

I don't really follow college football.  Maybe because it's because in my years at Humboldt State and Oregon State we almost never won.  I barely follow NFL.  I don't expect that football coaches and/or players are better than the average run of human, and I hope they're not much worse.  Jerry Sandusky can go to hell, and Joe Paterno can go to jail for all I care.

What strikes me most about this scandal is the response "How can a college like Penn State permit this?" 

Down through history the one thing you can count on is for an institution to instinctively cover up any crimes committed by people who might be deemed to represent the institution.  The Catholic Church, both major parties, the news media, local public schools, the Boy Scouts, etc, etc.  You name the institution and you can be sure that somewhere they've buried the truth because it hurts. Institutions have a life of their own, and the people who make them up have their lives tied to them, and plenty of motive to cover up it's failings.

No comments:

Post a Comment