Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Flag Harbor Manatee

Reliable sources tell me a Manatee (technically a West Indian Manatee) showed up in Flag Harbor yesterday, and stayed a while to eat a few heads of cabbage provided by spectators and photographers.  I couldn't find it in the evening when I went out fishing (nope, nothing to report), before the storm hit.  Manatees tend not to move awfully fast, so I may get more chances.

If the photo turns up in the local papers, I'll post that.

It seems like every year one or two find their way into the Chesapeake.  I don't think they find it a very congenial environment.  Almost entirely herbivorous, the Chesapeake no longer has large beds of vegetation to graze on, although they may find enough to get by.

A previous post on Manatees.

No comments:

Post a Comment